Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Year The Dog

Gong Xi Fai Choy
New year 2006.

I asked a man " Excuse me Sir, please help me if you can?
I need to translate English into chinese if I can.
I have two neighbours sir you see, who live very close to me.
They are having a party on Sunday, so I'm desperate you see"!

He shook his head, shrugged shoulders high, he didn't say a word.
He looked at me confusedly, and his sigh was all I heard.
And then he spoke in 'native tongue' to a young man at his side.
I hoped he didn't think me mad, my embarrasment was hard to hide

The young man looked at me and smiled, and said ' I can assist.
I speak your language fluently, it's a language I can't resist.!
So please explain your simple request, I'll translate all for you.
On one condition only though - That I come to the party too.'

Now it's all translated well I hope? I hope I've got it right?
I have even checked my Dictionary, but no Chinese words in sight.
It is not an easy language, I am sure you will agree..
But here I am in my best Chinese, Gong Xi Fai Choy from me..

I chose this Scottish New Year card, which celebrates two dogs.
One black as coal, one white as snow, I think they hunt wild hogs.!
They turn heir heads to wish you both Happy New Year girl and boy.
And in their best Chinese they say ' Gong Xi Fai Choy, Fai Choy.'

Now sing to us a New Year song to welcome 2006.
I hope your year is prosperous, and I hope these dogs do tricks.!
I asked a man " Please help me Sir, I need to translate soon.
You see I am going to China, Via the New Year China Moon. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home